Thursday, October 27, 2011

Have a tattoo, go to jail?

Earlier this month a Columbian soccer player, Juan Pablo, was arrested for wearing a sleavless shirt showing off his tattoos while in Saudi Arabia. It is a known fact that Saudi Arabia has to be one of the most conservative muslim countries in the world and as the article states, "Saudi law prohibits tattoos, no matter what their form, and every player has to abide with these rules." The player has apologized for anyone he may have offended and the case is still under investigation as to whether or not Pablo was informed that he was violating any laws. However, this brings up a bigger issue on do you think it was Pablo's responsibility to research the laws and know them prior to coming to the country knowing he would be staying for some time. It is a subject we have talked about in class as to which party is responsible for knowing and/or respecting the customs and laws of the other country. Even if Pablo was not informed of the laws on tattoos should he still be held responsible because he is in another country and it is after all, the law? Should the law have exeptions for athletes, Juan Pablo is on loan for his services for the team of Saudi Arabia, so should there be an exeption made? If this was you in another country and you unkowingly violated a moral law,what is the apporpriate punishment?
Here is the link to the article for you to view:
http://sports.yahoo.com/soccer/blog/dirty-tackle/post/Saudis-arrest-Colombian-footballer-for-exposed-t?urn=sow-wp5693

Michael Sampson and Courtney Moradipour

12 comments:

cindy.bynum said...

If Juan Pablo was informed of the law against tattoos, then he should be held full responsible. However, I don't think it's his responsibility to know that they are against the law. It's important that he research the basic laws in the country that he's going to, but it shouldn't be expected that he know all the laws. I don't even know all of the laws in America. It's understood that you know a basis of the law structure, but I wouldn't hold him responsible for knowing that his tattoo was against the law.

Nicolas Solano said...

I agree with Cindy. I don't think Juan Pablo would have knowingly committed this crime. If he was on loan to a Saudi team I think they should have informed him of this law. Although it is a good idea to research some basic common law before you go to any country there are bound to be a few obscure laws that you might over look. I think this is the case with Pablo and hopefully the Saudis will forgive him for this mistake.

Victoria Wheeler said...

Slack should be cut for him if he wasn't aware of the crime he had committeed, but on the other hand, I think he should've researched the laws and customs of the country before travelling there.

If I were in a country and unknowingly violated a moral code, I would hope that a warning would be sufficient since I'd be a foreigner.

Unknown said...

I think it is part of Pablo's responsibility to be aware of laws like this when entering Saudi Arabia, especially since he was playing for the soccer team in Saudi Arabia (even if it was on loan). Being an athlete, he is considered to be in the public eye and I think it is very important for people in the public eye to hold high standards and be good citizens wherever they are. It is part of being responsible and a good role model.

Cameron Hill said...

I think he should most definitely be held responsible for his actions. Just as stated in the summary, we often feel that these other people, or hypothetical people should be responsible for their actions. It is a shame that a professional athlete, with all of his resources available to him, he should be more than well informed of the culture and taboos.

Even if he was not informed he should be held to the same standard as the rest of them.

Qahir Makhani said...

I agree with Nico and Cindy about Juan Pablo probably being unaware of this law- as it is human nature to be naive in overlooking such obscure laws. Most soccer players and celebrities have tattoos and usually have them as a form of expression. On top of this, I doubt that he was thinking "One day I may join a Saudi Arabian club" when being inked, and having a tattoo removed is said to be a painful process. Nevertheless, I hope he is given the chance to redeem himself following this error of judgment, and that if he is afforded such an opportunity, it will be one he will be taking with both hands.

KIana Wai ;) said...

I agree with most of you saying Juan Pablo shouldn't be blamed on showing the tattoo if he had not been informed with the state law. Different countries have different law systems and some cultural beliefs complicate the law system. I do agree that we should be prepared and should do some research when we visit a new place/country. Yet, we could never know everything in one night or so. If this is the case, I think we need not attend any cultural aware course.

Jonathon Simpson said...

I agree. When visiting a new country, it's very important that you do research on their customs, etiquette, and law. But you can't know everything. Something is bound to be missed. I think Pablo should forgiven and perhaps even taught a bit about the country he is staying in.

Maria Bertuso said...

I agree that he should have done more research and been aware of the laws of Saudi Arabia since he was going to be there for longer than just a tourist stay. I do understand though that he could have slipped up and forgotten to cover up his tattoo since he is not accustomed to needing to. Though he should have been more respectful to their laws I do not feel that he should be held fully accountable.

Tyler thompson said...

I think the manager of his team should informed him of this law. I bet the coachs have seen te tattoos at some point. I think he should have looked into local customs and laws before moving to the area.

SimonG said...

I agree that the blame should fall on higher levels of the sport team's hierarchy. It isn't generally accepted for most travelling professional athletes to 'touch up' on cultural guidelines for prospective countries to be entered. Hopefully Saudi Arabia is understanding on this matter and doesn't strictly progress with these charges.

Rikki Murray said...

I believe that Juan should only receive a warning of some sort for his showing of his tattoos. I don't think that he should have read up on their legal policies for going, but I know when I am travelling for example on the road just as far as another city or a neighboring state, there are times when I am not even sure of their highway laws such as the speed limit and there are some that I am sure I may not be abiding by, but I am unaware of that.