Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Vamos a Chile! Chilean preparations

Chile
Greetings Everyone,
            As you heard in our presentation today, we are making our way into Chile. There are a lot of exciting things to look forward to in our new venture to the Southern Hemisphere. We outlined today the standard C.A.G.E. analysis that should give you a good preparation of what to expect. C is the cultural aspects of Chile. Chile is very family orientated and is big on personal relationships. They have a polychromic sense of time, so do not expect them to show up on time for any business meetings. They do speak Spanish as their national language. However, in business, they tend to speak English. Although, it would be appropriate to greet people in Spanish to show that you respect them. A is the administration of Chile. Big takeaways are that we do need to be aware of their policies, especially on importing and exporting. Our governments are similar, but again, it’s a new atmosphere that we need to be aware of. G is for geography. As seen in the short video clip, Chile has a variety of environments. The Atacama Desert and Patagonia are the two extremes of the climates in Chile. E is for Economy. Chile is a developing country. So, this is a good opportunity for our business to establish ourselves and prosper in the future.
            We advise that you do your own research and preparation in transitioning to this new culture and environment. However, we hope that our presentation has helped you understand some of the major issues that you might be overcoming.
            As an assignment to our employees, we would like to hear some feedback. What are some major concerns you have in making this transition? How do you think the company could better prepare you? Do you think this will be a good opportunity or maybe a bad decision in the long run? We have attached 2 links that we would like for you to take a look at. The first is the video clip of the guy who sailed from California to Patagonia to hike the mountains. The second clip will be some contemporary Chilean music. Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns.
                                                                                                Sincerely,
                                                                                    Chilean Task Force Team




2 comments:

Nick South said...

After your presentation, I really would not have any concerns in moving to Chile. I felt very comfortable in my ability to adapt to their culture, because I feel like, their culture is very similar to the U.S., minus the Spanish language. I think it would be a great opportunity. After seeing the presentation, I feel very confident that we could be very succesful their because of their economy and the constant growth of Chile's economy.

Nicolas Solano said...

I studied abroad last fall semester in Valparaiso, Chile. While I was there I took IB and Economics courses. The hot topic for Chileans at the time (and probably still is) was globalization and how Chile fits into the picture. They are very eager to build relationships with people all over the world to strengthen their economy and become a trade leader in South America. So, I think it is an excellent idea to start business with Chileans and I would definitely be wiling to go there again.

The 180 Degrees South movie is AMAZING!! (first link) If you haven't seen it I recommend watching it. It's an awesome story and you get to see all of the various climates and natural attractions that Chile has to offer.