Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Studying Abroad in France

Conner and I have both studied abroad in France over the past two summers. We both encountered many cultural differences during our time in France. A couple of things that stood out to the both of us was water being served warm and without ice. Coming from the states we both had never had luke warm water without any ice. Well, while we were in France, we both had the experience of asking a waiter for ice, well, we later learned the French took that as an insult as the waiter only brought us one ice cube. This was something that took us some time to get used to, but after being their for a couple of days, we both learned that ice was not a big deal to the French. So we drank warm water!

Another difference Conner and I noticed was that no matter where we went, (hotel, restaraunt, store, etc..) it was always hot. After a constant effort to ask the front desk how to work the air conditioning(she had no idea what we were talking about) we later learned the French do not appreciate air conditioning like we do. Again, another thing that took time for us to adjust to. Overall the cultural differences from France to the U.S are great, but with time and an attitude to accept the culture and their way of life, we were both able to adapt and experience the French culture at its best. Now we would like to hear about your experiences abroad.

While studying abroad or visiting another culture or country, have you ever had any awkward experiences with people from another culture?

Also, when you encountered these experiences, were you able to adapt to these changes and how did you handle these changes?

Nick and Conner

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

One thing I forgot to mention after we finished our post was that we both had a problem with the lack of living space wherever we were staying. I am so used to spreading out and having so much room no matter where I am in the US, but in France I was always cramped. I noticed even public places like restaurants seemed to be so packed that you were almost forced into the conversation with the table next to you. I just thought this was a good add-on of something we mentioned after we finished the blog post.

Anonymous said...

One thing no one seems to mention about China is exactly how often many Chinese people spit. Yes, I realize people in the US spit when chewing tobacco, that is also gross. It is on a completely different level in China. People will spit anywhere. Inside, outside, on carpet, in restaurants, or in a stranger's apartment. Nowhere is safe. Most younger people have the courtesy to act embarrassed when you glare at them; this was my solution.

David Mouron

Nathan Damesworth said...

I had no idea about that David! Thanks for sharing.

As for my study abroad trips, I've had a couple of awkward experiences. When I went to Spain I was meeting my homestay mother's friends with one of them being a man. I kissed everyone once on each cheek then went in for the man and he was like "No, no!" and extended his arm for a handshake. That was a bit surprising haha.

My other experience was in Vietnam. When I first arrived there, we went out shopping and each vendor we went to was desperate to get our money so they would tug on our shirts, haggle with us, etc. The haggling really had me nervous, but towards the end I haggled an article of clothing from $10 down to $4! I felt like a winner :)

Victoria Wheeler said...

All these comments are so interesting!

Hmmmm...interesting experiences in Spain. Well, I am a person that blushes a lot, and sometimes I don't know why.

A lot of times when we'd be in the middle of a conversation and I'd feel even the slightest bit uncomfortable, I would turn really red. And when I say a lot, I mean a lot. A friend of mine actually would say things to embarrass me all the time because she thought it was funny to watch me blush.

Another instance with this same friend - I was one time listening to her have a conversation with someone, and for some reason I got nervous and started laughing, as many people are known to do when they're uncomfortable. She asked me, "Victoria, por qué te ríes?" (Viictoria, why are you laughing?), and all I could respond with was "No sé!" and go on feeling awkward for the rest of the night.

Anonymous said...

I need to move to France! I hate cold water and I am a very cold-natured person. I would probably love it there. I had some awkward experiences in Greece when I tried to use the shower. It was pretty small and I fell down in the shower and pulled the chain out of the wall. I had to go down to the front desk and explain out of a translation book that I was not used to small showers and I had fallen and broken the shower. It was pretty funny, but definitely an awkward moment.

-Tricia Bruce

Edie Miller said...

In the U.S., whenever I am walking down the street, on campus, at a park, anywhere... and someone is walking their dog, I always bend down and pet the dog, give it some love and attention, and usually strike up a conversation with the owner about the dog's name, age, etc. Being dog-lovers themselves, this could potentially turn into a 25 minute conversation where we both ramble on about how much we love our dogs and meeting other peoples' dogs.

Likewise, in Barcelona, there were people walking their dogs everywhere! So naturally I bend down and say "I love your dog! Can I pet him!?" (all in Spanish)... and the response from Spaniards was vastly different than Americans. They did not want me to pet their dog and were almost offended that I was on the ground trying to pet their animal. This whole situation made me so sad! I missed my dogs and was just trying to spend some time with theirs. I much prefer how open Americans are with their pets.

How did I handle this change? After realizing this was an abnormal occurrence in Spain, I refrained from petting everyones' dogs... RELUCTANTLY. I still smiled and waved though.

cmoradip said...

I studied in Spain and had some different cultural experiences as well. The ice was something I too had to adapt to and just learn that they do not see it as something needed so I should adapt. My main issue was probably just the living space though. I shared a room that is way smaller than my room at home which I have to myself. It at first seemed very tight but I quickly realized that this is how everyone there lives and really I did not "need" more space. Everything I needed I had, I was just use to haveing much more.
Courtney Moradipour

Jonathon Simpson said...

While I was going to school in Taiwan, the dorms that the students lived in were also very small compared to American dorms. The beds and toilets were also much different. The bed was completely wooden with just a bamboo mat and the toilets were squatty potties. The toilets took the most time to get used to but the entire trip was a great experience.

Rikki Murray said...

I had also studied abroad in France and found that to be a little odd too, but I did not mind it too much since I'm not very big on ice myself. It also took some time for me to get used to the lengthy meals at restaurants and I was surprised at myself how I it sometimes made me a little tense and somewhat impatient while waiting for my check. One other thing I found very different was their extremely dated appliances and various other things. For example in the apartment complex I stayed in, the elevator was tiny and really only big enough for 2 people. This is something I have never seen in the US with our pride on new and innovative technologies.