Thursday, October 13, 2011

Toms Shoes For the World

The article below talks about how and why the shoe company TOMS was formed. TOMS is a company that sells shoes, and for every shoe purchased a child in need in a country of extreme poverty receives a pair of new shoes. Their motto is "one for one." A man named Blake Mycoskie is the founder of TOMS, and continues today speaking on college campuses about the importance of giving back. This company started small in 2006 and has grown exponentially within the past few years. Now TOMS sells sunglasses to benefit vision care in 3rd world countries. This company is so great because it links a stable wealthy country with third world countries around the world.

http://www.toms.com/corporate-info

Giving

Have you ever heard of TOMS and its background/mission?
Do you, or have you ever thought about owning a pair of TOMS?


By,
Maria Bertuso
Edie Miller


16 comments:

SimonG said...

I've owned 2 pairs of TOMS in my time. I think they were comfy shoes and I liked the style. As far as bridging the gap between 1st/3rd, I think it's a clever marketing scheme. Sure they are legitimately giving the shoes to children in need, but they are profiting highly from it at the same time. Look inside the shoe and you'll see it is made in China, they are obviously exploiting a low wage country.

Victoria Wheeler said...

My sister was actually the first person to tell me about TOMS and what the mission is.

I've never actually owned a pair myself, but I have thought about buying some. My sister loves hers and wears them almost every day.

I think the mission is a great one, whether or not they are exploiting China as a lower wage country. I agree with the girl in the video in that I think every company should include some aspect of charity in what they do.

Bill Lee said...

I have heard about TOMS shoe company in the past. Their mission statement, and the amount of corporate social responsibility is admirable, and I am glad that they have done well financially because of this fact. I wish more companies had TOM's outlook for the betterment of humanity.

I currently do not own a pair, but am strongly considering buying a pair in the new future to support their cause.

Aidan said...

I've never bought a pair because I don't really know where they are sold.

I've heard of them, though. Philanthropic consumer trends are common, aren't they? The LiveStrong bracelets were really popular when I was in high school. I wonder if older generations have had the same experience with trendy consumer goods that support a cause.

Kierra Warren said...

I definitely respect TOMS as a company and charity for the product that they offer and the amount that they give to those in need. I do not own a pair, but I plan on making a purchase in the near future.

In regards to the comment above, TOMS are sold on their website mainly; though I have seen them listed on other retail websites which makes me question if some companies may be selling TOMS solely for profit.

Abbie Alton said...

I own 3 pairs of TOMS and love them! Not only are they comfy but they are cute as well. I remember seeing them around and not knowing what they were until I saw a commercial for them on tv. I think the concept is great from several aspects. I think its a great business strategy. I've heard that people are more willing to participate in something if it gives back. Meaning psychologically, more people will buy TOMS because they know it goes toward a good cause than if it didn't. Also, I always think it's great to help out countries who aren't as blessed as we are. We take for granted having simple things like shoes every day.

Edie Miller said...

One of my friends from high school thinks TOMS is not a good idea for the 3rd world countries. She thinks that 3rd world countries don't need hand-outs and shoes given to them; rather, they should make their own shoes to create jobs and stimulate the country's economy. I had never thought about it like that before. She always tends to think about things critically and from different angles instead of jumping to easy conclusions that "oh TOMS is a wonderful philanthropic idea... how generous!" I still haven't made up my mind about TOMS shoes...I don't own a pair as of now, but I do think they are really cute and stylish. I love all the different colors and patterns. Maybe looking at it from this angle will stimulate others' thoughts about TOMS!

Castellanos, John said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jsalomon said...

I definitely agree with Edie about empowering countries to support themselves. Maybe what TOMS could do is to set up production centers in the countries that they are donating to and employ those people to make the shoes themselves. People want to work, they want to feel like they are contributing to their own well-being. But this obviously cannot be done immediately. TOMS is still a young company and it makes sense for them to stick to just selling shoes. Hopefully in the future they can expand or create a joint initiative to bring production to a recipient country and out of China.
-Jessica Salomon

Castellanos, John said...

Edie-As you can see from the video attached there is very little economy to stimulate. There are no real roads, electricity, no money. Building a REAL shoe factory there would be an even greater philanthropic deed. One that would cost hundreds of thousands to operate. I think the 1 for 1 would suffice...while its good to think outside the box I believe we should stay inside the box on this one.

Also, yes I can see where this 1for1 is a marketing tool. It preys on the goodness in everyone's heart. Its just the way it is, some of us fall for corny Superbowl weekend commercials and some of us fall for this. Its called marketing.

Jerrica Goodson said...

I own a pair of TOMS, and I'll admit that I was more willing to pay the $40 price tag because I knew that I was supporting a good cause. However, Edie brings up an interesting point. Providing free shoes is curing a symptom instead of the problem, but like John said, it's a problem too big for one company to fix. Until everyone in the developed world is on board with promoting growth in third-world countries, we have to be content with companies like TOMS changing things one child at a time.

Shane Reed said...

I have never owned a pair of TOMS and really didn't know anything about the company. While it is correct that providing 3rd world countries with immediate relief does not address any long-term economic sustainability issues, It doesn't seem that receiving free shoes could hurt them. Having a pair of shoes does not solve all of their problems and thus should not cause them to commit any fewer resources to stimulate economic growth. The shoes might even contribute to greater individual productivity and help stimulate growth. Edie's friend has an interesting perspective, but I disagree that it's bad for them to get free shoes.

Cameron Hill said...

I also have not owned a pair of TOMS. But like many have heard o the company and their cause. Their cause is admirable, and personally hope to start something similar to help join the cause. For those that own a pair or considering buying a pair, it shows something about them and their mind set. It shows that although we are fortunate enough to have multiple pairs of shoes at our disposal, we are not so arrogant as to not care about others. It is a just a small gesture that goes a long way, and that is a true sign of being global (realizing the reality of other nations). I applaud those who have bought a pair to support the cause.

Nick South said...

I have never bought a pair of Toms before, mainly because I have never been somewhere where they are sold. I do admire Toms mission and their values and I believer what they are doing is extremly admirable. I would like to have a pair of Toms soon so I can contribute to their great cause. What they are doing is great and I hope more companies would follow and adapt the same mission that Toms has.

Anonymous said...

I think that TOMS is an amazing company. I purchase TOMS for my daughter and I absolutely love them. Not only do they make a difference by giving away a pair of shoes, but the make a good quality shoe as well. I will continue to shop with TOMS in the years to come. I wish more companies would develop the same motto as TOMS by giving back to those in need.

Hannah Creech said...

I first heard about TOMS almost 5 years ago and I also own a pair of TOMS. Actually the only reason I wanted to own a pair was to support the mission/cause that TOMS strives to achieve. Since the creation of TOMS there have been other companies that have followed in this business/ethical model. Krochet Kids is another company that supports a 3rd world country, Northern Uganda. The mission is the same as TOMS just another area to be supported. I admire companies like this that start purely for the cause and not for the profits. It is such a shame that major fortune 500 companies won't impact lives like these companies started by young kids....college kids....people our age. I would buy a product from a company like this even if I didn't like the product, I support the cause.