Telemundo's only changes to their programs were "a sprinkling of English and...English subtitles." Do you think these changes are significant enough to alienate the core Spanish dominant viewers? Do you think that this is more of a globalized or localized business strategy? How do you think the changing demographics of the United States has affected this strategy?
Hillary Hiss and Lauren Irby
9 comments:
Okay, first of all, don't judge me for this, but I like telenovelas. They're ridiculous, but they're good to watch if you want to train your ear to better understand Spanish.
I don't think the addition of bits of English in the script as well as English subtitles will alienate the Hispanic audience. If they're going to play Spanish programming in America, why not allow those who don't understand Spanish to enjoy it, too? It can't do anything to hurt the Hispanic audience.
This seems to be a more localized business strategy.
The changing demographics of the US have affected this strategy because there is an ever increasing Chicano (Mexican-American) population. Most chicanos nowadays know more English than they do Spanish, and if they were to watch a telenovela, English subtitles and simple phrases would be helpful as far as comprehension goes.
I agree with Victoria in that this is a more localized strategy. I don't think there's anything wrong with adding bits of English and English subtitles. It broadcasts in the United States where our primary language is English. I understand they are trying to attract the Hispanics in America, but in the business world you provide what sells and as the article stated 82% of Americans speak English primarily or English and Spanish equally. If they want to do well in the business world I think this was almost a mandatory change, especially if they were consistently falling behind Univision.
This seems like a very odd move to me. I don't think that many people who watch Telemundo are not fluent Spanish speakers. Furthermore, the majority of Hispanic Americans are 1st or 2nd generation immigrants. It is very unlikely that there is market of Hispanic Americans who do not speak fluent Spanish. I suppose this is a localization strategy, but it seems more like a waste of time.
David Mouron
David: The article says, "Bilingual Hispanics, defined as speaking English more than Spanish or Spanish and English equally, are 82 percent of the United States Hispanic population." Tailoring your product to 82% of your target market doesn't seem like a waste of time to me.
Rather than alienating the core Spanish dominant viewers, I think Telemundo's new model fits them better than the old. The article says Spanish-speaking grandparents can watch television shows with their English-speaking grandchildren with more mutual understanding. That seems really appealing, and Telemundo's 25% increase in advance advertising sales is evidence that this strategy is working.
I too agree that it is a localized strategy. I do not believe that this will hurt or alienate their core spanish viewers. If anything This strategy will only broaden their viewer base. Now not only will spanish speakers watch, but bilingual speakers along with those trying to become better at either Spanish or English.
I feel that this is a very natural move for them to make. Yes, the company is targeting primarily spanish speaking people, however, broadcasting in the US there are many people who do not speak fluent spanish. By adding subtitiles they are only opening themselves up to a wider market. I would hope that these changes would not alienate their core audience, but I feel there is a good possibility. Many Enlish speaking Americans do not like programs with Spanish subtitles and stay away from them so I do see the risk, but I also think the risk is worth taking.
Courtney Moradipour
Adding these changes won't alienate their core audience and I think it will serve it's purpose to bring more viewers. The perfect example is what Victoria said, there are tons of people that watch these shows simply to improve their Spanish skills. Adding a few English words and some subtitles may help in that area.
This is definitely a localized strategy.
Growing up in a diverse city like Chicago I was raised around different types of television shows so I think that it's always been there but the changing demographics seems to have brought it out of just the big cities.
Personally I feel like its a waste of time to infuse programing with spanglish. Its like saying we are going to put someone with a really notable southern drawl on sesame street to capture as most southern viewers as we can. There is nothing wrong with the having a southern drawl, but I doubt viewers would drop lamb chops fun house and force their kids to watch the new Sesame street just because it has a southern drawl. Spanglish is not viewed as a "sophisticated" speaking skill. Employers want bilinguals, not people who can't speak both so they mix and match from both languages. Subtitles are OK, but they get on people's nerves so that might not work out either.
It makes total sense to incorporate some English language and English subtitles into the programming if it is directed toward Latin Americans especially if they are targeting any of the younger crowd. Many of the Latin Americans I know that are my age speak better English than Spanish to begin with. This seems to be a localized strategy to me since they are appealing to Latinos in America not Latinos in general. I think that this was definitely brought on by the changing demographics in the U.S., and it is a smart move.
Post a Comment