A blog for MGT 472 classes at the University of Tennessee-Knoxville, Fall 2011. Ideas, reflections and resources about living, working, leading, relating, and traveling in the global environment.
Tuesday, November 1, 2011
Best Global Companies to Work For
Every year Fortune magazine publishes a list of the best companies to work for. This is a recognition that is really important to companies and is based on a rigorous process with established metrics.
This year Fortune's partner The Great Places to Work Institute has instituted a similar ranking of the 25 best multinational workplaces. Companies must have appeared on at least five national Great Place to Work lists, have at least 5,000 employees worldwide, and at least 40% of their global workforce must work outside of the company's home country. The list was published last week.
Check our the article to see the entire list and some info about each of the 25 companies. Here's the top 10:
1. Microsoft
2. SAS
3. NetApp
4. Google
5. FedEx Express
6. Cisco
7. Marriott
8. McDonalds
9. Kimberly-Clark
10. S. C. Johnson
For those who are interested in joining a top multinational companies, this may give you some ideas of how to focus your job search.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
I think it's interesting that the article states that each of these companys must have 40% of its workforce outside of its home country. I am not surprised that this is one of the requirements, but it does a nice job of pointing out how big a prerogative working internationally is. The companies listed in the article cover a wide range of industries, but all appear to have themes common with international business. Most express an interest in giving to the community, be it through promotional product access at a discount or supporting certain charities. This community-based dedication seems to build a sense of company pride, which I think is a main contributer to making these companies great work atmospheres. What other aspects do you think they have in common?
The only company that I am surprised to see on this list is McDonald's. Every time I go there, the employees do not seem too happy. However, this list could be referring to McDonald's on a corporate level, which consumers don't see every day. My mother works for FedEx, so I was happy to see this company on the list. If I ever decide to apply for a job with a huge corporation like these listed, I want to make sure that the company has an international division. I'm sure this won't be too hard to find, as most corporations do these days.
it's interesting the array of industries represented in the article: food-service, information technology, even hospitality sectors are listed here. i think this shows that these organizations, though staples in the domestic economy, have succeeded in integrating their businesses across borders and cultures.
I'm glad to see that Google is ranked at #4 on the list. It's not surprising to me, either. Last semester in Marketing 300 when we talked about corporate culture, Google was one of the companies of focus.
I found this list to be very interesting in that many of the companies are ones that we see and hear of on a very regular basis. It seems as if there are many opportunities to work in a global market for those that wish to do so and with a certain level of enjoyment as well with the companies listed.
Post a Comment