Expatriates Increase In China
The article talks about the power of the Chinese economy fueling the growth of its expat workforce as well as it's foreign workforce. The end of the article talks mostly about the issues of understanding and communicating that employers must relay to their foreign employees that we have discussed in class. Our questions to you may sound a little bold but, after reading the article, how does this make you feel as an American citizen (if you are one)? Does it worry you that our economy is getting far outperformed by the Chinese? Or do you see it as an opportunity for yourself and other Americans? Would you be interested in becoming an expat to China?
Raymond Stocker
David Mouron
17 comments:
China is improving their infrastructure like America did fifty years ago. At one point, America had the infrastructure that everyother nation was envious of. China is taking advantage of the opportunities in front of them and I feel to be successful that I need to be open to the idea of being an expat to China. I think that it would be an amazing opportunity for myself and the obstacles and successes would help me grow as a manager. I would definitely be interested in being an expat to China.
I feel as if this is a double edged sword. On one hand, China's economy is experiencing incredible growth, but on the other, most of the world's economies are/will be dictated by the fortunes of the American one. This is due to the growth of many economies such as those of China, India, Malaysia, etc have roots in the "Consumer lifestyle" lived by many Americans. As Americans generally desire the newest and best products/technology, many business functions have been outsourced to these nations, in addition to the United States importing many goods from these parts of the world. I feel as if China has more to lose if the U.S economy begins to slow down as they will not be able to engage in as much exporting as they are at this moment in time. This could lead to a snowball effect on their economy as less demand for exports would naturally lead to a slowdown in economic growth, which could potentially lead to an increase in unemployment. This is, however, conjecture and I could be completely wrong.
On the other hand, I would be interested in becoming an expat in China as I believe experiencing new cultures and learning about their business practices can only help someone to develop as a person and as a potential business leader due to having working knowledge of another culture and its economy. This could be crucial in anyone's success in business as they would be able to leverage this knowledge to aid the growth of their company, and hopefully the economy as a whole.
It does not worry me as an American citizen, but I do believe that China's economy is doing much better than America's at this time. I think there are several opportunities in China for people who want to delve into that. Personally, I am not interested now to be an expat in China, but as the world and international market grows, I'm sure my opinion will change.
I like this because it reflects the fact that resources, in this case intellectual resources and human skill, find their way to where they are valued most. This is an example of job markets working efficiently, which ultimately benefits the global economy. Personally, I don't think I would be up for living in China right now. I have a family which means not only would I have to be okay with completely changing my life, but so would they. Not to mention I do not speak any Chinese. If there are opportunities in China at a time in my life when it would be more feasible, I might consider working in China.
You all have some good points. Qahir I agree that China's economy does hing on the state of the US economy, as do many others. But as China's consumer market develops (becomes more like the US) and with the booming size of their economy, I believe the failure of our US economy wouldn't be as detrimental as one might think. China is developing at an unprecedented rate, both with good and bad points and because of this I think its almost imposable to accurately predict how it will affect others in the long term.
On my other question, I think it would be awesome to learn the Chinese language. This is because I think it will be key in conducting business in the future as an expat or as a general business person here in the US.
China's economy is indeed growing very rapidly. However, it is also dependent on the U.S. economy. Anything that happens here is likely to affect the economy of China. Ultimately, it is hard to predict whether China will grow past this in the near future or not. China will, however, still play an enormous part in the world economy in the future and people in business today should accept the possibility that they may relocate to China.
If you can't beat them, join them! Why not go to China in search for a job, especially now that Chinese employers are trying to be more open to other work environments and cultures. I feel like now is a good time to venture to China while their economy is rising and the trend in moving there is relatively new.
I think it is a little intimidating that the Chinese are growing so quick so fast but this is due to the large population, Their are so many people needing work that they will work for very little. This makes for cheap and efficient manufacturing but can the economy keep supporting this kind of growth with the standard of living being that low. Yes, until countries stop importing from them. So as of now i see the Chinese growth as an opportunity and a huge market place to tap into.
Being an American citizen of Chinese descent, I can say that I am proud to be associated with 2 of the biggest world powers. It's a known fact that China's GDP is increasing at a rapid rate. However, there have been some artificial means for them to achieve that growth. They have been building "ghost towns" - full-blown cities without people, just to keep up their steady growth. I still think China has a while to go until it supersedes the U.S. economy.
I would definitely consider becoming an expat in China. Speaking from personal experience, the culture has become so westernized that adaptation would be easy for me and most expats I feel.
I agree with Michael. We are seeing similar patterns that America went through 50 years ago after WWII. Economic development for any country should be consider good in times like these. Though America is being bested economically, we still have the highest standard of living. While living here, that my friends, is all that matters. As far as being an expat to China, I wouldn't so much enjoy permanently staying there, though doing business there once a month would be acceptable.
I feel as though the US should not feel threatening by China's developing status. One reason being that a lot of business is done between the United States and China, meaning that in some way the US economy can benefit from their improvements. Secondly, it was stated in class-I believe- that China is in need of the managerial skillset that many professionals in the United States already possess. Without the necessary quantity and quality managers at these companies, China will still face several challenges compared to the US.
For me, it feels really similar to how America was back when it was growing rapidly and becoming a world power. It is easy to think that we only do things a certain way over here, but other countries are needing well qualified people to handle foreign affairs in business. I do not worry one bit about China becoming a superpower (especially since speaking Chinese will be extremely beneficial). We are now globalized, I believe it should not matter who is overtaking who (it could make those countries who are doing worse than before to strive for more). The only worry I would have is if militarism got involved.
There are many opportunities for Americans in China, for me, however, I want to raise a family here and not be the father who goes out on business constantly so becoming an expat to China is not in the picture for me.
First of all, I would love to be an expat in China...or almost anywhere else. It does not bother me that China's economy is outperforming the United States. It was just a matter of time before someone did, and hopefully it will only encourage the U.S. to step up its game. There are and have been tons of opportunities in China and taking advantage of the opportunities will help both countries.
Even though I'm not an American, it's really hard to see what you once know go way. Change is a very difficult thing to embrace but sometimes necessary; even though this hart the economy, man has to do everything and anything to survive in the current situation. So yes, I'll go if that is the only way to put food on the table and make life a little manageable. And while I'm taking care of today, I'll hope to learn something that might change the situation for tomorrow.
China's economic growth is not what worries me. Like many of you have said, I think economic growth is a good thing, and it's sure to benefit every country in our increasingly globalized world. However, with economic power, usually comes political power, and this is where I feel uneasy when it comes to China. China has frequently been accused of denying its citizens legal and human rights. Freedom of speech and religion does not exist, workers have few rights when it comes to labor unions, and the government even controls how many children a family can have. However economic growth usually correlates with human development, and I hope that China's recent economic boom will lead to more rights for its citizens.
the similarities between the command economies of china today and the united states under FDR are striking. I do find it worrisome that the US is not utilizing its resources and potential for economic growth. However i do not see this as a zero-sum game. China's growth does not take away from US growth and vice versa. I would definitely become an expat in china if the opportunity presents itself. Preferably our countries would learn from each other and cooperate for the mutual benefit of the middle class.
I think that there are many opportunities that America has yet to take advantage of. America has seemed to become lazy in aspects of foreign investment. We work hard to grow and expand our economy, but when we become number one, we stop working as hard, allowing others to grow at a much more rapid pace. It's kind of sad to me to see the apathetic tone of America, but on the other hand, we are the number one economy in the world. China is expanding rapidly, but they still have a way to go before they catch up to us. As of now, I feel that the Chinese are working much harder than us. However, I do not necessarily think that we are being outperformed by the,. I think that America has the opportunity to grow more, especially with trading partners in the Asian-Pacific region. As far as being an expat to China, I don't think that it would ever be something that I am interested in. I have always wanted to visit China, but I do not think that it's somewhere that I would ever want to live for an extended period of time.
Post a Comment