"Tell me what you eat, and I’ll tell you who you are.”
Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin -1825
Spoiler: If you're squeamish, you might want to skip this post...
Food tells us a lot about different cultures. Food is part of our identity. Everything about eating—what we eat, how we acquire it, who prepares it, who’s at the table—communicates something about culture. "Our attitudes, practices, and rituals surrounding food are a window into our most basic beliefs about our world and ourselves."
Americans have a different kind of relationship with food than people in many other parts of the world. Most Americans are increasingly removed from the actual production of food; we don't really want to know that the meat we're eating was once a living animal. Nowadays many Americans rarely cook or eat at home. Compared to people from other countries, most Americans have a fairly narrow palate: chicken, beef, pizza, pasta, fruit, salad, dessert. And many of us have bad eating habits: we eat too much sugar, snack between meals, eat on the run, and enjoy large portions. (If you want to learn more about how Americans eat compared to other cultures, see this article from Harvard magazine: The Way We Eat Now)
![]() |
| Butcher shop display in Italy |
People in other countries eat a lot of foods that aren't on the typical American menu. They eat different types of meat; eat different parts of the animal, bird or fish; and enjoy their food prepared and presented in different ways. Many Europeans and Asians are much closer to the source of food. Many of you have probably visited open-air markets in Europe and Asia. It's fairly common to see people buying birds and animals that they'll take home to slaughter and eat. Slaughtering an animal is often a social event for family and friends.
Rabbits and birds are often sold at the grocery store with their heads on so you can be confident you're getting the real thing. You can even buy a pig's snout or head at modern supermarket or butcher's shop.. like this one I saw in Italy.
France is especially known for its culinary emphasis. Food is very important in France, and the discussion about food can occupy much of a meal. The French eat a variety of foods that many Americans aren't familiar or comfortable with: duck, goose, rabbit, horse, wild boar, snails. Organ meat is considered a delicacy, especially "foie gras" or goose liver. "Andouillette" sausages, "fromage de tête," and "pieds et paquets" are other French specialties... I'll let you google on these and see what you learn.
Rabbits and birds are often sold at the grocery store with their heads on so you can be confident you're getting the real thing. You can even buy a pig's snout or head at modern supermarket or butcher's shop.. like this one I saw in Italy.
France is especially known for its culinary emphasis. Food is very important in France, and the discussion about food can occupy much of a meal. The French eat a variety of foods that many Americans aren't familiar or comfortable with: duck, goose, rabbit, horse, wild boar, snails. Organ meat is considered a delicacy, especially "foie gras" or goose liver. "Andouillette" sausages, "fromage de tête," and "pieds et paquets" are other French specialties... I'll let you google on these and see what you learn.
The food I had in China and Hong Kong last year was outstanding, but many in my group weren't comfortable with it. Sometimes at our banquet meals, we had absolutely no idea what we were eating. I know I ate ostrich, chicken feet, seaweed, and many kinds of unusual fish. Food was often presented to showcase the original animal... something we don't often do in the USA.
Here are a few food photos from my international food adventures:
![]() |
| Fish in Guangzhou, China |
![]() |
| At the same meal-- this was definitely a different presentation of chicken! |
![]() |
| This was a lunch option at a cafeteria near Shanghai. |
![]() |
| Fresh seafood for sale at a fish market in Hong Kong |
![]() |
| I ordered this seafood platter on the Cote d'Azur in France. |
![]() |
| Choucroute is a specialty in Alsace, France-- an assortment of pork and sausages served with potatoes and sauerkraut. |
I really like calamari, but I had a hard time with this preparation in Croatia. |
When you travel abroad for business, you'll likely find yourself out to dinner with clients, vendors or colleagues. They'll want to honor you with a special meal of local specialties and the very best delicacies. You might find yourself served one of the dishes in the photos above. How would you handle this? What would you eat... and what couldn't you eat?
Have you had some experiences with "different" food? What's the most unusual thing you've eaten in another country?
****************************
Here are a couple of other resources about "different" food around the world:
Gross Me Out! (interesting article about what Americans consider "gross" food)
Weird Food website
Gonna Eat That? (resource from a PBS series, The Meaning of Food)
Weird Food website
Gonna Eat That? (resource from a PBS series, The Meaning of Food)







20 comments:
Having to eat "strange" foods with business associates would not deter me at all. The offal (intestines) are actually some of my favorite parts of an animal. There are some things I would prefer not to eat, but I make it a rule to try anything at least once.
Some of the things I've eaten that might be deemed weird by the average American would include: scorpion, silk worms, bone marrow, all kinds of intestines, pork blood, escargot, and raw moving squid tentacles.
Maybe I could be the next Andrew Zimmern?
I am willing to try most foods at least once, but there are some that I absolutely would not eat. When I was in Mexico, I didn't eat anything strange, although I did see other people eating chicken feet, and markets selling whole pigs that had already been roasted. This is not too strange, but it was definitely different from American culture. If I was at a business dinner and did not want to eat something that was being served, I would try at least one bite of it (or not even try it at all depending on what it was) and if I didn't like it I would just not eat it, but be as polite as possible about it. This is definitely something that should be considered in foreign travel.
This is one of my favorite topics for discussion!
I love the idea of eating anything and everything (that won't kill me). If I was taken to a dinner by a foreign company, I would have no problem trying anything that they served. My only deterrence is lactose.
Something that I have always felt about American food is "how sad". We truly make every effort to remove ourselves from the "grotesque" parts about our food (the selection of the animal, the slaughter, and the preparation) and to me, these gross processes are vital to the understanding and appreciation of what you're actually eating.
While I have been abroad I have eaten several things that I just simply didn't know what they were. My dad developed a strategy in Italy where he ordered the 3rd thing from the bottom of the menu in each category. We ended up eating a marvelous lasagna, and also a delectable tripe dish. In France I ate "fromage de tête", and as soon as I can find a place to trust, I'm really excited to eat live tentacles!
I consider myself pretty open when it comes to trying new and different food. I know that if I don't like it I don't have to eat it again. The only thing that I would have a problem with trying would be a dish where the animal I was eating was staring back at me, or insects. I don't need to see the animal's head to know it is what I am being served. I'll trust the cooks on that one. When I went to the market in Italy I bought some of the fresh calamari and my professor bought fried fish that were whole. Watching him bite there heads off, eye balls and all was a bit much for me. Organs of animals don't really scare me because if they are cooked right I know they can be good. I have tried ostrich before and absolutely loved it. I love trying new things and finding more things that I love to eat! I would consider myself very open to trying new things and can not wait to study abroad again to try different food.
I consider myself a picky eater, but I became much more adventurous with food when I studied in France. I adopted the "try anything at least once" attitude and ended up trying many things like escargot, duck, and rabbit (my favorite!). I also tried octopus in Portugal along with a sandwich called the "fransicena," which consisted of four different types of meat smashed between two pieces of bread, topped with two cheeses, then drenched in a beer and tomato sauce. It wasn't necessarily weird, but definitely heart attack inducing.
As far as being offered strange foods by a host, I agree with Hillary. I would definitely try anything, but if I didn't like it, I just wouldn't eat it and attempt to be as polite as possible about it. There were many things I didn't end up eating in France, but most of the time my hosts appreciated that I even tried it.
I will always try a new type of food at least once. So far in my travels I have not run into any thing that people might find "gross". But, I would love to go to Asia and try some of their different delicacies.
I have not had an experience yet where the food was particularly "gross." That is probably because I've only been to the UK, Spain, and France, all relatively tame culinary countries. I would like to say that I would try anything, but I couldn't really tell you until I was sitting at the table with the plate of food in front of me. Brains, intestines, and testicles all sound extremely nasty to me, and I know they are delicacies in some cultures. I can tell you I probably would not eat any of that.
I would be open to trying anything except for live insects. I think that trying foods that may seem alien could help show your business counterpart your willingness to embrace his/her culture. Personally the strangest food i've eaten came from a Korean radiologist friend. It was the petals from some type of flower and seaweed chips with an extremely hot chili paste sauce. I enjoyed it and she was so excited to get me to try more.
I would be open to trying anything except for live insects. I think that trying foods that may seem alien could help show your business counterpart your willingness to embrace his/her culture. Personally the strangest food i've eaten came from a Korean radiologist friend. It was the petals from some type of flower and seaweed chips with an extremely hot chili paste sauce. I enjoyed it and she was so excited to get me to try more.
Being a particularly "picky eater", this aspect of doing business internationally would be one of the more difficult ones for me. However, I feel that if in a business setting where there would be food presented to me, I would at least try it, even if it was not appealing. If I didn't like it, I would then maybe try to politely turn the rest of it down.
One thing that might can help you when going to dinner with clients is to research the types of foods served in that particular country. This is very important because you dont want to be surprised when the food is served and say no in which you might disrespect your host people. If youy cannot eat that particular foods, let your host know before hand so you do not embarrassed yourself.
I don't really eat that much meat, so I would consider myself a pretty select person when it comes to eating. This would be the most challenging thing when it comes to doing international business. I am very willing to try new things. You never know until you try, right? However, if something were brought to me with it's head still on there, then I don't think I would be able to eat it. For example, if I had been brought a fish with the head still on, I don't think I could find it in me to eat the fish. I would try my best to be respectable, but it would be very challenging if I were eating dinner with a host and something like this were to occur.
The strangest food I have eaten is kangaroo. Americans view them as these cute little animals that hop, while Australians view them as food. I was nervous at first, but it turned out really well. Some other foods I've experienced include crocodile and emu. All of these experiences were from my trip to Australia. It's all common food to them.
I would like to think that in a business setting I would be able to act more mature than I actually regarding unfamiliar foods. I am not necessarily squeamish, but I do have a hard time eating things that I am uncertain as to where it may have come from and what is included. Because I have not been out of the country yet and not experienced many foods that do not look appeasing, how do I better prepare myself for these situations being in America since most restaurants don't serve authentic foods?
I am assuming that this is something that I will have to overcome mentally in order to not embarrass myself and anyone that I am representing.
I am probably not very open-minded when it comes to eating unusual meats or organs. I have never eaten livers or gizzards in America, and I was averse to eating entire fish (heads attached) during my time in Japan.
While I could be provoked or peer-pressured into eating a fish with its head attached, there are certain lines I will never cross. I would never eat the brain of an animal for fear of contracting prions that may reside there. If I were in another country, I would (ethnocentric as this may be) expect my hosts, in extreme cases like organ meat, to respect my dietary preferences.
Having to eat different foods would be something that I would not really have a problem with. Yes, there are things I would probably prefer not to eat, but growing up in a multicultural family I have learned that you have to try everything once. My dad always stressed to my sisters and I to be repsectful and at least try it and never say that we do not like the food. The strangest thing I have eaten abroad has been lamb, and yes I know that does not seem very out there, but it was the way it was prepared that was somewhat squeemish. My dad is from Iran so we have been there a few times to visit family, usually as a tradition and a great honor for a guest the meal they will prepare with involve roasting a lamb, but they bring the lamb out ALIVE before and kill it and everything and then cook and serve it to you. Personally, it makes me not want to eat the meat but it would be very disrespectful not to, so the way I see it is that it is one meal and unless you have health issues you will be fine.
Courtney Moradipour
I would be willing to try anything once as long as I knew it was safe it eat. There are dishes in some cultures that can cause serious illness or even death if not prepared perfectly. I wouldn't say that I have tried many unusual dishes, but I have eaten non-customary foods such as bear, venison, cow tongue, cow cheek, and mountain oysters.
I know this one lady who works for a Japanese company here in East Tn but travels occasionally to Japan to conduct business. Every time she would go to Japan they would treat her to traditional Japanese seafood. So she ask her translator if perhaps one next time they could try a restaurant that served some cow... on her next business trip they treated her to beef. Unfortunately, for her it did not consist of prime ribs, sirloin steaks, or filet mignon. I think there is no escaping food and an extra effort has to be made if you want to succeed in the international world.
On a side note...I have always wondered if the term vegetarian is know through out the world? I think if I was to come to the conclusion that I could not handle what was in front of me, I would play the vegetarian card :)
I have not been in a situation where something was presented at the dinner table that I was grossed out by. I know when I traveled to Rome I loved the way the meals were cooked. Anyway I would hope I would be willing to eat something out of the ordinary. I hate Americans thriving on fast food. It's unhealthy and takes away from the family.
While abroad, I learned that you have to try everything at least once. If you don't like it, then you could likely find a way to politely refuse it. This is what I would do if I were ever put in that situation at a business meal.
Most new things I've tried I've liked, especially since my tastes have changed since I've grown older.
I had trouble eating whole fish when I was in Spain, but I think it had more to do with the smell of it than the taste.
I am willing to try most foods, so i feel like in a business dinner situation I would be very comfortable. After traveling in France, I have learned that most food are actually better than you think they are. I have learned just dont think about it, just eat it. For example, I never imagined my self liking duck liver or foie gras, but I tried it and I loved it. My only regret was that I tried it on the tail end of the trip and did not get the pleasure of trying it everywhere I went. Also, I never thought I would enjoy Indian food, but to my surprise after eating at Tajj I realized I liked it a lot and plan on going back in the future.
Post a Comment