Friday, November 4, 2011

HR going global


What do you believe take to be an international Human resource manager? Do you guys think you actually need to learn a country’s culture in order to fulfill your human resource manager role or? What do you think would be the most difficult part of being a HR manager of a international company?  
 
Ashref Murfiq and Alyse Fischer

9 comments:

Michael Sampson said...

I was not able to pull up the article but I think being in international HR requires someone that is open to cultural differences, and is flexible to change. I think if a company is going into a country, then they definitely need to learn and respect that culture. I also by learning the country's culture would go along way to earning the respect of the local employees and strengthen the relationship between the company and the host country. I think the hardest part would be to mesh local culture with corporate expectations. It would be challenge but requires the right individual to act as the glue to keep the corporate values without alienating the locals.

Abbie Alton said...

I do believe that you need to be "fluent" in international culture to be a successful international human resource manager because culture can easily be considered the biggest role in international human resources. I can imagine that there would be several difficulties with deciding what to do in certain situations where you would be forced to chose between two conflicting ideas in culture.

Edie Miller said...

I think you do need to learn a country's culture to be able to assess what candidate is going to be good for the job in that country. I think the hardest part of being in international HR would be communication: language, communicating across cultures, communicating across oceans, emails, skype, face-to-face, all aspects of communication.

Andrew K. Smith said...

I think to be an international HR manager one needs to be totally organized, with the amount of people and issues that the person will be dealing with on a day to day basis organization would be key. I also think that an understanding of foreign culture, maybe not a specific understanding of the culture that is being dealt with (although that would be very fitting and helpful), but definitely an understanding of working with a different culture in general. The most difficult aspect in my mind would be what I stated earlier, being able to keep up with everything going on and everyone in the business.

Cameron Hill said...

I believe that yes you need to know the culture of different countries for an international company. If anything, there should be HR roles dedicated to specific cultures for this company. Although centralized offices are often preferred. I believe having an HR department in multiple locations would be good for best practice. In order to meet the expectations, and requirements for a good representative of HR. I would suggest having a personalized individual trained and located in the location of the global offices.

Kierra Warren said...

This is something that I have been considering focusing my career on. I most definitely think it is important for the manager to know the culture. I feel like that goes without saying. Secondly, I feel that the most difficult part of being an international HR Manager would be not learning of a foreign culture, but being able to learn and effectively manage several diffferent cultures at the same time.

Nick South said...

I absolutly think that it is very important for the HR manager to understand the culture backwards and forwards. I think that the hardest part of being a HR manager in an international company would be trying to understand the language and their business culture. If you dont understand the language, communication with your employees will be extremely difficult. Not understanding the business culture and the language would be the two hardest things of being an HR manager internationally.

Nathan Damesworth said...

I personally believe that one needs to learn the region of various main cultures, and if an employee is from one of those cultures, then delve deeper into that particular country instead of the region as a whole. The most difficult part would be managing the interactions of people within the country who have different backgrounds, or perhaps explaining company policy and goals to those that might think them strange.

Hillary Hiss said...

I believe that it is very important for an HR manager to be more educated about international culture than the company's employees. Even if the HR manager is not actually in the country where business is being held, the employees still look to this person to provide guidance and support within the business. If the HR manager doesn't have any experience with this, they will not be able to live up to their job role.