We all learned something about India through the movie Outsourced earlier this semester. India is an extremely important country in our global economy, and there is much more to be learned by studying more about India and the India Way of thinking about business and managing people. These lessons are highly relevant even if you plan to spend your whole career focused in your home country.
As a starting place, I recommend this article: People Management: How India Does it Better
![]() |
| Ratan Tata, one of India's leading executives |
According to the research reported in the article, "Indian business executives overwhelmingly believe that competitiveness derives from people – not just for their own businesses but for India as a whole." As a result, Indian companies put much more emphasis on Human Resources management, and HR strategy is a very important part of their approach to business.
This approach apparently pays off. During the economic downturn, Indian companies returned strong results. According to Peter Capelli, author of The India Way, "The Indian economy largely sidestepped the financial crisis because of wise banking practices; its overall growth rate is second in the world, only to China. Its major corporations are growing at rates of 20 percent to 40 percent per year, competing and winning in precisely the international markets where the United States sees its future: high-skilled service industries."
Like Jack Ma of China's Alibaba Corporation, Indian executives don't have the shareholder at the top of their priority list. (See here to see how they rank their top five priorities; this is a very readable short article by Capelli about the Indian way of managing.) Like Ma, they see their business purpose as a social mission-- not primarily to make money.
According to Capelli, "Indian companies do a lot of things that reinforce their success. They focus on a social mission for the business, which ties into worker motivation. They take care of their employees and they invest in their development. They also spend a lot of time trying to tap engagement. They track it carefully, they worry about fostering 'reciprocity norms,' which send the message to employees that 'we take care of you, and you in turn look after the company'."
If you want to understand more about the India Way of managing, you should learn about the Tata group, now one of the world's largest companies and involved in a wide variety of industries. (The company reported revenue of $67 billion in sales in 2009-2010.) This article from the Economist provides a lot of insight into the Tata group, its founder Ratan Tata, and the company's culture:
This description of the Tata Group culture from the Economist article is a good illustration of the India Way of managing:
"Tata prides itself above all on its culture, which it argues is defined by three things: loyalty, dignity and what is now called corporate social responsibility (CSR). It is not unusual to find a Tata lifer whose spouse works for the firm and whose father also did. Tata is admirably restrained by the flashy—it is tempting to say money-grubbing—standards of modern India. It has always eschewed “sinful” industries such as drink, tobacco and gambling. It is as committed to public service as it was when Jamsetji Tata was laying the economic foundations of Indian independence.
I'm looking forward to my trip to India in early January and the opportunity to gain some personal insights into Indian culture and business and the India way of managing. What can managers from other cultures learn from these stories of the Indian way of approaching business and managing people? Do you think some of these Indian ways would help Western businesses be more successful?
"Tata charitable trusts own two-thirds of the holding company, Tata Sons. Alan Rosling, a former Tata executive who spearheaded the group’s globalisation, liked to say, “We’re making money so that our shareholders can give it away.” The trusts funded worthy causes, from clean-water projects and literacy programmes to the various Tata institutions, to the tune of $97m in 2010. But the commitment to CSR is deeper than this."
I'm looking forward to my trip to India in early January and the opportunity to gain some personal insights into Indian culture and business and the India way of managing. What can managers from other cultures learn from these stories of the Indian way of approaching business and managing people? Do you think some of these Indian ways would help Western businesses be more successful?


5 comments:
After reading the article on Indian Mangagement, the idea of not providing bonuses or commission to workers that have better results was very interesting. I admire that the restaurant workers are so motivated on the results of the team instead of the individual payback. After taking some time to think about the message, I have really grown into the idea that competitiveness derives from people on the working level and not from top management strategizing. I think it would take a while for Americans to adapt to this way of management because we are so used to working towards money and power.
I do think that American managers can learn something from the style of management that was talked about in the post. I really like the idea of doing the right thing for the customers and employees and letting the profit follow that we also heard from Jack Ma. This is probably an idealistic view in many American managers' opinions though. I can say that I have worked for a company that really made the effort to take care of it's employees and a few others that didn't. I naturally wanted to do a better job for the company that made the effort, and they had a way lower turnover rate even among college age students who are more likely to follow whims.
I think we can definitely learn a lot from India's management style. My belief is that everyone that is affected is a stakeholder in the company -- that is the employees, customers, suppliers, etc. If you only focus on appeasing the investors, you normally have to detract from one of the other stakeholders and that can be a detriment to a corporation's success.
-William Lee
I have worked with companies that are paid 100% commission / promoted 100% by merit. I have also worked with teams. I always enjoy the group working together or a common goal, the environment made me wantto go to work Which in turn made my performance ether. I would enjoy seeing more businesses use this style of culture in the work place
I am a huge fan of Tata, especially Tata Motors, but I don't think that their management model can be applied to Western businesses. The nature of American business is to be profit focused. While many companies often donate money, it is always with a focus on making more money in the future. I'm honestly not sure that Tata isn't the same way, but they make a much more concentrated effort to appear magnanimous.
David Mouron
Post a Comment